Summer is here! This means many things, sunshine, beach days, relaxing by the pool, and spending time with family. For all those who just graduated from high school however, it means preparing for their first year of college! There is a lot to be excited about before moving up to Tallahassee but there are a few things that need to be done before the school year starts.
The first order of business is finishing Freshman Orientation. Freshman Orientation can be a fun process for many because it is their first time seeing the campus and seeing where they will be for their first year away from home. Make sure to get an early orientation date scheduled so you can figure out which classes you will be taking. A good class schedule with professors that make the class interesting is vital towards college success!
The next thing you should do while you’re up here is to come stop by SouthGate Campus Centre for a tour from one of our friendly RA’s! The Housing Office is going to be open until 8 PM for the summer so there is plenty of time to stop in and get a tour.
Lastly, keep an eye out for our move-in pack! The move-in pack is going to have all the information on what to bring for move in, move in dates, and best times for families to move in! In the move-in pack, we also briefly cover some of what SouthGate has to offer to provide our residents with the best freshman experience possible.
Our residents from the past school year have moved out and gone home. Our incoming residents for the upcoming school year are graduating High School. Everything is going by so quickly! Here are some tips for the summer.
1. Register for an early orientation date. You do not want classes to fill up before you have had a chance to register!
2. Stop by SouthGate for a tour while you are in Tallahassee. We would love to see you!
3. The Facebook roommate matching group has opened so you will want to start finding your roommate before everyone else is matched.
4. Get excited for your first year of college!
Closer and closer summer is slowly creeping towards us, and nothing is better than some summer fun in the sun! Its important to remember to study for finals, so here are some tips to help make that summer transition a breeze!
1. Make sure you study for those finals early! SouthGate is going to be holding study breaks in the Dining Hall all finals week, so you can take a quick break from grinding away at the books and study guides.
2. Relax! Stressing has never solved anything; if you study and understand what you’re doing don’t overthink it! You can’t do any better than your absolute best.
3. Make sure you bring your test taking tools! Nothing is worse than frantically searching for a No. 2 pencil seconds before a test.
4. Read each question carefully, don’t get a wrong answer just because you glanced at the question and didn’t understand it.
5. Once the test is over, enjoy your summer! Take time to relax, spend time with friends and family, and enjoy the time that you have off. It’s summer, have some fun!